Experiential classroom learning, engaging real world experiences, personalized youth development and counseling support, Specialized High School Acceptance Test (SHSAT) preparation, SAT preparation, college tours, international service-learning opportunities, college search and application support, financial aid application support, and comprehensive internship and career-development opportunities. These are but a few of the benefits of enrolling in HEAF.
Please review the eligibility requirements below to see if you or your child/student is a fit for HEAF.
1. Are You Eligible?
HEAF looks for students who demonstrate intellectual curiosity, academic motivation, personal resiliency, and self-discipline.
- Currently attend a NYC public or parochial school
- Strong desire to attend a four-year college or university
- Have a minimum GPA of 80% with no grade below 80% in a core subject (Math, English/ELA, Science, or Social Studies)
- Have scores of 3 or 4 on the New York State standardized tests (or score in the 60th percentile or higher on the ITBS test)
- High school applicants must have a minimum score of 75% or above on their Math and English regents exams.
- Middle school applicants must be committed to attending a competitive New York City public high school from among those schools listed on the “HEAF Approved High Schools” list.
- Good school attendance
- Availability to participate in all mandatory HEAF program activities
- Currently be in grades 5 through 10. (We work with students from sixth grade until college graduation, but students may only apply to the program between the final semester of the fifth grade year and the final semester of the tenth grade year.)
Check to see if your child meets the admissions criteria. If you have any questions about your child’s eligibility, please email us at or give us a call at 212-663-9732.
2. Fill Out An Application
If your child meets the admissions criteria, there are three ways to fill out an application:
- Apply online
- Download an application, fill it out, and return it by mail to:
2090 Seventh Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY10027
- Request an application in the mail. You can request your application by email, or you can call us at 212-663-9732 to request an application.
3. Submit Report Card And Test Scores
When you submit your application, you must also send in your child’s most recent report card and your child’s Math and ELA test scores. If your child meets HEAF’s academic requirements, we will contact you to schedule an interview.
If you do not have your child’s most recent test scores and report card, you should contact your child’s school to get them before applying to HEAF.
If your child did not take the Math and ELA exams, or if you have questions about whether your child is eligible, please send us an email or call us at 212-663-9732.
4. Come For Your Interview
Students applying to HEAF and their parents are interviewed before being admitted to the program. Students should come to their interviews prepared to talk about their academic goals and to answer a few essay questions.
All offers of admission are made at the discretion of the HEAF staff based on a number of academic, individual, and program criteria.
If you’re ready, you can apply now!