Helping students gain acceptance to college is only part of HEAF’s work. Our commitment to students’ success remains strong once they enter college. We facilitate our participants’ college experience with gestures as small as sending care packages or as significant as visiting students on campus.
Our Onward™ College Support Program provides first-generation college students with the continuing social, emotional, career and community support they need to make the transition to college and to complete their undergraduate studies. Onward™ also serves as a support network for HEAF’s college graduates.
HEAF’s Onward Program for College Students
- Social and emotional support for first-generation and underrepresented college students
- Linkage to summer internships and fellowships for college students
- Guidance in graduate school application and selection
- One-on-one mentoring opportunities
- Care-packages and regular correspondence with Onward students
- Career counseling and mentoring
- Professional development workshops
- College visits
- HEAF Specific internship and job opportunities
- Volunteer opportunities
In addition, there are regularly scheduled Onward activities and networking events during the winter and summer months to help them as they move from college to graduate school or professional careers.
HEAF Onward Annual Events
- HEAF Winter Conference — College freshmen and sophomores participate in series of workshops revolving around topics on the college experience, leadership, career readiness, and personal development. Workshops are facilitated by New York City professionals with expertise in the topics offered as well as HEAF program staff. Students are organized into specific workshop tracks based on their academic year.
- HEAF Fellows Program — A weeklong career readiness program designed to provide an insider’s look at a variety of professions. HEAF students visit 8 sites throughout New York City. HEAF Fellows Program is open to college juniors and seniors.
- Homecoming week — Series of service and social events to encourage college students and alumni to remain involved with the organization. Homecoming occurs during the last week of programming in December.