Director of Programs
The Harlem Educational Activities Fund (HEAF) is seeking a highly experienced leader and manager to join its senior team as the Director of Programs. The Director is responsible for overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Programs Department. He/She is a member of HEAF’s senior leadership team and reports directly to the President & CEO. The Director will be a compassionate self-starter with boundless energy and a strong desire to educate youth in NYC.
The Director provides strategic leadership and ensures the creation, implementation and integration of programs in alignment with HEAF’s mission, methodology and strategic direction. The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of HEAF’s thought leadership activities and work with Board. He/she will build relationships with organizations engaged in activities that are aligned with the work of HEAF.
Specifically, the Director will provide oversight and manage all aspects of HEAF’s four main programs (middle school, high school, college success, and youth development), as well as admissions. He/she will supervise staff and provide guidance. Specific duties include: developing and implementing the educational and youth development curricula; fostering community-based partnerships and volunteer engagement opportunities; monitoring performance and reporting outcomes; and working with young people toward college graduation and career readiness. The Director will create linkages with external organizations to ensure referrals for supportive wrap-around services for all participants and families. The Director will help set the agenda and lead the Board of Director’s Program Committee.
- 7-10 years of experience in a senior management position in education with an advanced degree in social sciences, education, and/or similar field.
- Leadership experience running after-school and youth development programs.
- Superior planning, administrative and organization skills.
- Deep knowledge of college access and college success work
- Strong facilitation skills and a proven ability to leverage working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and retaining high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, the span of control and performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the capacity to manage multiple projects in a team-based work environment are also required.
- High energy level with a passionate commitment to youth and education attainment. Self-starter.
Please address the following three questions in your cover letter with a maximum of 200 words per answer.
1) How would you build a program curriculum that combines core curriculum concepts and 21st-century skills necessary for college access and success?
2) Given that there is existing staff in place, describe how you would begin to build a team to support the vision and goals of the HEAF programs.
3) As we think about continuous improvement of our programs, what would be your initial steps in thinking about the process?
How To Apply:
Resumes and cover letters with salary requirements can be sent directly to HEAFPresident@gmail.com. Please note Director of Programs in the subject line. No phone calls please.